Most shorelines made the list for their natural beauty or dramatic landscape. Ocean City was honored for its unique blend of sand and entertainment.
The town is best known for its boardwalk. Visitors flock to the boards for snacks from Thrasher’s French Fries, Fisher’s Popcorn and Dumser’s Dairyland.
After grabbing a bite, beachgoers enjoy exploring shops like Ocean Gallery and The Kite Loft. Families often finish their nights at amusement parks like Jolly Roger at the Pier or Trimper Rides of Ocean City.
“Ten miles of white-sand beach plus a three-mile boardwalk packed with amusement park rides, bike rentals, shops, and delectable treats make Ocean City Beach a popular vacation spot,” Travel + Leisure said in its April 15 story. “You’ll find a variety of hotels, restaurants, and even a brewery on the boardwalk. Jet skiing, surf fishing, and fishing charters are popular here as well.”
The other beaches mentioned come in all shapes and sizes. There is a picturesque shoreline in Florida, a rocky coast in Oregon and even a watering hole in the Colorado desert.
The beach most similar to Ocean City is Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York. This urban beach is also known for its rides and boardwalk amusements.
“Some blissful stretches are found alongside an ocean with striking rock formations or mountains in the distance, while others sit on a picturesque lake or river,” author Patricia Doherty wrote in the article. “Some are surf havens with stellar waves, and others are family-friendly spots with powder-soft sand, calm swimming conditions, and a bustling boardwalk, chock-full of restaurants, shops, and water sports rentals.”
These were the other towns that made the list, which was not ranked in any particular order:
- Poipu Beach, Kauai, Hawaii
- Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
- Pope Beach, Lake Tahoe, Nevada
- Clearwater Beach, Clearwater, Florida
- Harris Beach, Oregon
- Glass Beach, Port Townsend, Washington
- Oak Street Beach, Chicago, Illinois
- Carlsmith Beach, Hilo, Hawaii
- Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
- Grand Haven State Park, Michigan
- Santa Monica Beach, California
- Medano Creek, Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado
- North Beach, Tybee Island, Georgia
- Good Harbor Beach, Gloucester, Massachusetts
- Rockaway Beach, Queens, New York
- Crystal Lake State Park, Barton, Vermont
- Gulf Shores Public Beach, Alabama
- Park Point Beach, Duluth, Minnesota
- Asbury Park Beach, New Jersey
- Carmel Beach, Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
- Coligny Beach Park, Hilton Head, South Carolina
- Alki Beach, Seattle, Washington
- Ocean Beach Park, New London, Connecticut
- Coney Island Beach, Brooklyn, New York
To learn about each destination, read the full story on Travel + Leisure.
Have a story idea? Please contact me at [email protected] with any pitches, tips or questions. Follow me on Twitter @JacobBaumgart and on Facebook @JacobBaumgartJournalist to stay up-to-date with the latest Anne Arundel County news.